The percentage of immigrant workers in the construction workforce is rising, according to an analysis of the most recent 2016 American Community Survey. Immigrant workers constitute nearly 25% of the overall construction workforce, accounting for an average of 30% in the construction trades.
Job Description (SOC 47-000)
Construction workers are also known as construction laborers who work on construction sites. They are responsible for a number of on-site tasks, such as removing debris, erecting scaffolding, loading and unloading building materials, and assisting with operating heavy equipment.
Some of construction worker responsibilities include:
- Preparing construction sites, materials, and tools.
- Loading and unloading of materials, tools, and equipment.
- Removing debris, garbage, and dangerous materials from sites.
- Assembling and breaking down barricades, temporary structures, and scaffolding.
- Assisting contractors, e.g. electricians and painters, as required.
- Assisting with transport and operation of heavy machinery and equipment.